[Paraview] Performance Test: Gpu vs. Cpu Rendering

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Sat Aug 27 17:17:12 EDT 2011

In that case, I recommend that you those three GPU nodes plus any number of CPU nodes that make sense (with one MPI process per core).  ParaView will distribute the rendering over all the nodes, GPU and CPU, even though you will only see output on those 6 processes.  If your CPU nodes are set up similarly to your GPU nodes, that is with X hosts and OpenGL drivers, you just run all the processes the same.  If your CPUs don't have X host, you can still perform rendering with Mesa 3D.  In that case you'll need to use different pvserver executables for each.  ParaView won't actually understand the heterogeneity of your system, which will lead to some load imbalance, but not so much that I would bother to worry about it.

Does that answer your question?

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories