[Paraview] Visualizing rotating sphere

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Aug 8 12:48:31 EDT 2011

On the contrary, that question does not sound simple at all.

So, I am assuming that you are representing the rotation of the particles by the angular velocity vector, which is pointing along the axis of rotation and whose magnitude is proportional to the speed of the rotation.  To my knowledge, there is no mechanism to convert that to rotational transformations on glyphs that change over time, and implementing it sounds painful.

If you're open to suggestion, you might consider a more static representation with a less symmetrical glyph that better represents the angular moment of the particles.  You could use either an arrow in the direction of the angular velocity or a disk in the plane of rotation (perpendicular to the angular velocity vector) or, better yet, both.  Both can be done with the glyph filter using the arrow and cylinder glyphs, respectively.  I've attached a screenshot demonstrating the idea.

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov