[Paraview] compiling master from git, problem on debian machine

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:46:38 EDT 2011

On 02/11/2011 07:10 PM, Ricardo Reis wrote:

>  I've tried compiling the git source on a 32 and a 64 bit machine. Both
> run debian testing.
>
>  I've tried with MPI2PY ON and OFF
>
>  I'm using MPI YES, Python YES
>
>  Both stop with the error (see attach)
>

>  Any ideas?
>

>  Ricardo Reis

Just stumbled across the same thing. It also happens with 3.10.1. The
problem is that on Debian/Ubuntu FindMPI.cmake populates
MPI_INCLUDE_PATH with
/usr/lib/openmpi/include;/usr/lib/openmpi/include/openmpi. The whole VTK
source tree, however, assumes that this variable only contains a single
entry. E.g., the following shows up a lot in the CMakeLists.txt files:

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES("${MPI_INCLUDE_PATH}")

Due to the quoting the list is interpreted as a single string and
-I"/usr/lib/openmpi/include;/usr/lib/openmpi/include" just doesn't make
much sense...

The cure is simple, issue the following in the build tree (provided you
chose openmpi to be your default MPI implementation in the alternatives
system):

cmake -DMPI_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include/openmpi
-DMPI_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/libmpi.so
-DMPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/libmpi_cxx.so .

Of course, this issue should be also fixed either in FindMPI.cmake or in
the VTK sources.

Michael