[Paraview] Paraview v3.10.1/0 segmentation fault with MPI and MESA support on.

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Tue Apr 19 07:22:39 EDT 2011

On 04/19/2011 01:59 AM, Albina, Frank wrote:
> Hi Kevin!
>
> Thanks a lot for the offer. To be honest, I am still having trouble to run paraview v3.10.0/v3.10.1 to have CPU rendering only with additional X support.

This statement confuses me.

There are two* ways to build paraview :

1. With X : Hardware accelerated or not, onscreen or not, X is
required.

2. Without X : No hardware acceleration, always offscreen, X is
not required at all.

*OK, OK there are other window systems for Mac and Windows

> On the one hand, I am performing the same configuration steps with CMake as for paraview 3.8.1, for which I have had no issues whatsoever wrt. running paraview in this configuration for the last 4 months. I am relying heavily on paraview for post-processing simulation results and it runs on my compute cluster daily in parallel.
>
> On the other hand, performing the same configuration steps with CMake for paraview 3.10.0 or 3.10.1 creates an executable which cannot run without producing a segmentation fault, which does appear just after the logo window has popped up. For information, I am compiling the paraview sources from scratch.

After I'm sure you have Mesa and PV builds that will work we'll
check that you are linking against the right libraries.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought I've set up Mesa
correctly only to discover that PV was linking against the system GL.

> Here are the settings I am using by default:
>
> OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/lib/libGL.so

The above is an Open GL library.

> OSMESA_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/lib/libOSMesa.so

The above is also an Open GL library you can not link an
application to both of them at the same time.

>> make realclean
>> ./configure --prefix=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2 --with-x --enable-gl-osmesa --build=x86_64-suse-linux --with-driver=xlib --enable-glu --enable-glw --enable-pic --enable-opengl
>> make -j 4
>> make install

Though this creates an OSMesa library and a GL library they can
not be linked together.

I don't remember all of the details but:

    1. long ago OSMesa could be built one of two ways
        1.1 Stand alone OSMesa could not be linked to GL :
offscreen only
        1.2 OSMesa had to be linked to GL : offscreen or onscreen

    2. Now OSMesa can be built only one way which is the same as 1.1.

Paraview has also changed over that time

> Furthermore, the problem does not arise when I am disabling MPI support (i.e. VTK_USE_MPI:INTERNAL=OFF)

I can not explain this part.

> I would be very grateful if you could help me find out was I could be doing wrong. Again, the procedure works for paraview v3.8.1, so I am quite at loss when it does not work anymore for paraview v3.10.x.
>
> Please, let me know if you need more information.

Well I need to update the software I have on our cluster anyway.

I might as well do it today.

As I work I'll make a script out of the steps.

I'll share the script with you.