[Paraview] Paraview v3.10.1/0 segmentation fault with MPI and MESA support on.

Albina, Frank frank.albina at sauber-motorsport.com
Tue Apr 19 01:59:45 EDT 2011

Hi Kevin!

Thanks a lot for the offer. To be honest, I am still having trouble to run paraview v3.10.0/v3.10.1 to have CPU rendering only with additional X support.

On the one hand, I am performing the same configuration steps with CMake as for paraview 3.8.1, for which I have had no issues whatsoever wrt. running paraview in this configuration for the last 4 months. I am relying heavily on paraview for post-processing simulation results and it runs on my compute cluster daily in parallel.

On the other hand, performing the same configuration steps with CMake for paraview 3.10.0 or 3.10.1 creates an executable which cannot run without producing a segmentation fault, which does appear just after the logo window has popped up. For information, I am compiling the paraview sources from scratch.

I have been having the issue on two different computers now: one Linux x86_64 workstation running under SuSE SLES10 and one Linux x86_64 laptop running under OpenSuSE 11.1. It is not a compiler issue, since I have been able to reproduce the problem using different compilers versions (i.e. gcc v4.1.2, v4.5.1, v4.5.2 and v4.6.0) on the same architecture.

Here are the settings I am using by default:

//Path to a file.
OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/include
//Path to a library.
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/lib/libGL.so
//Path to a library.
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/lib/libGLU.so
//Path to a file.
OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/include
//Path to a file.
OSMESA_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/include
//Path to a library.
OSMESA_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2/lib/libOSMesa.so
//Build classes for the X11 window system.
VTK_USE_X:BOOL=ON
//
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA:BOOL=ON

Note that the same problem arises also on the Linux workstation using Mesa v7.10.1 and v7.10.2.

Mesa v7.9.2 was compiled using the following steps:

> make realclean
> ./configure --prefix=/code/CFD/develop/opt/share/Mesa-7.9.2 --with-x --enable-gl-osmesa --build=x86_64-suse-linux --with-driver=xlib --enable-glu --enable-glw --enable-pic --enable-opengl
> make -j 4
> make install

Furthermore, the problem does not arise when I am disabling MPI support (i.e. VTK_USE_MPI:INTERNAL=OFF)  or having "conventional" OpenGL support with MPI enabled (i.e. using system OpenGL libraries and MPI support).

Here is the list of libraries I am using for the build of paraview with MPI, MESA and PYTHON support:
 + Mesa v7.9.2
 + OpenMPI v1.4.3
 + Python v2.7.1
 + Qt v4.6.3

Paraview v3.8.1 was compiled with the following library versions:
 + Mesa v7.7.1
 + OpenMPI v1.4.3
 + Python v2.7
 + Qt v4.6.2

I would be very grateful if you could help me find out was I could be doing wrong. Again, the procedure works for paraview v3.8.1, so I am quite at loss when it does not work anymore for paraview v3.10.x.

Please, let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,

Frank.