[Paraview] h5 reader not avaialable?

Pratik Mallya pratik.mallya at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 00:17:55 EDT 2011

Pratik Mallya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed paraview 3.10.0. , but .h5 files don't seem to be
> supported; the option to select .h5 files is itself not available when
> i try to open my files through the GUI. From the Wiki, it seems that
> paraview should have the h5 reader builtin; so have i made some
> mistake when building? Also, is there a plugin for h5 readers?
>
> thanks in advance.
Ok. Just found out one can use xdmf files to access h5 data. Sorry for that.

--
*Pratik Mallya*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pratik.mallya

It seems that in other softwares (e.g OpenDx) there are readers which
read hdf5 files directly. Now, I really don't have any problem with
using xdmf; in fact , i prefer it as it gives me a better idea of how
the data is organised  etc. But just for those who want just the
functionality (including my advisor!) it may be worthwhile to
incorporate this feature into Paraview, especially as it seems that hdf5
files are very well structured and have the metadata within them.

So what i am asking is; if there is already such a reader available,
please let me know. Otherwise, i can probably do it as a project over
the summer.

pratik