[Paraview] problem with automatic multicore in Paraview v3.11 from git

Dan Lussier dtlussier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 16:22:33 EDT 2011

I just gave it a try, and unfortunately I get a bunch of errors and am
unable to get the install part of the process to work (i.e. I am still
able to run from the build tree).  There were a lot of errors, but all
revolved around:

>   possible problems:
>     need more directories?
>     need to use InstallRequiredSystemLibraries?
>     run in install tree instead of build tree?
>

> warning: target '/Users/dtlussier/Desktop/pv-install-test/lib/
> libvtkhdf5.1.8.5.dylib' does not exist...
> /usr/bin/otool: can't open file: /Users/dtlussier/Desktop/pv-install-
> test/lib/libvtkhdf5.1.8.5.dylib (No such file or directory)
>
> -- fixup_bundle: cleaning up...
> -- fixup_bundle: verifying...
> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> -- Analyzing app='/Users/dtlussier/Desktop/pv-install-test/ParaView
> 3.11.0.app'
> -- bundle='/Users/dtlussier/Desktop/pv-install-test/ParaView
> 3.11.0.app'
> -- executable='/Users/dtlussier/Desktop/pv-install-test/ParaView
> 3.11.0.app/Contents/MacOS/paraview'
> -- valid='1'
> -- executable file 1: /Users/dtlussier/Desktop/pv-install-test/
> ParaView 3.11.0.app/Contents/bin/pvbatch
> -- warning: embedded item does not exist '/Users/dtlussier/Desktop/
> pv-install-test/ParaView 3.11.0.app/Contents/Libraries/
> libvtkhdf5.1.8.5.dylib'
> --
> warning: cannot resolve item '@executable_path/../Libraries/
> libvtkhdf5.1.8.5.dylib'
>
>   possible problems:
>     need more directories?
>     need to use InstallRequiredSystemLibraries?
>     run in install tree instead of build tree?
>
> CMake Error at /opt/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/
> BundleUtilities.cmake:691 (message):
>   error: verify_app failed
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   /opt/local/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/BundleUtilities.cmake:551
> (verify_app)
>   Applications/ParaView/ParaView_OSX_MakeStandAloneBundle.cmake:157
> (fixup_bundle)
>   Applications/ParaView/cmake_install.cmake:35 (INCLUDE)
>   Applications/cmake_install.cmake:32 (INCLUDE)
>   cmake_install.cmake:46 (INCLUDE)

I'm not sure how to interpret all this - as I didn't think I was
building against the system HDF library, so I was assuming that the
HDF library was built internal to PV ?

As for additional output when I tried to use the multiprocessor
setting before - I just get that message ( vtkClientSocket failed to
connect to server: localhost:56123) in the usual PV console/log
window. Once that pops up on launch (i.e. at the same time as the
splash screen), I don't get any further.  On the Mac here, I get the
spinning beachball and that's it.