[Paraview] problem with automatic multicore: v3.11 from git repo

Dan Lussier dtlussier at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 21:01:19 EDT 2011

Hi.

I just updated to v3.11 via the git repo, and everything was looking
great when I built Paraview.   I was able to launch the newly built
executable, but as soon as I turned on the 'Use Multi-Core' option in
the Preferences, I ran into trouble.

When I turned that option on, and then tried to restart Paraview, I
got an error message right away as the Paraview splash screen was
displayed:

vtkClientSocket: Failed to connect to server: localhost:XXXXX

I was able to get going again by setting autoMPI=false in the
configuration files, so I am pretty sure that this was the culprit.

My setup is:

OS X 10.6, 64-bit
Mac Pro (2 x quad core)
- PV built with OS X system MPI libraries (shared)

If there is something simple I can change (i.e. building against non-
system MPI), or other OS X system settings that I should be aware of,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan