[Paraview] Error reading PLOT3D q-file

DParker at chromalloy.com DParker at chromalloy.com
Wed Sep 1 08:57:11 EDT 2010

I am attempting to read a binary PLOT3D grid and result files using
Paraview. The file was generated using unformatted Fortran write
statements. The file will read into Paraview with the following settings:
Binary, Has Byte Count, LittleEndian, Force Read. However, Paraview seems
to be reading an extra two values from the q-file in the i-index direction
shifting the result by two grid points.

Specifically, the results are CFD results for a turbine airfoil and the
shift in the solution is evident along a line extending from the trailing
edge of the airfoil. The grid has coincident nodes along this line and the
results are continuous across this line. However when I plot in Paraview
the results are shifted downstream by two grid points. The file can be
plotted properly in both Fieldview and Tecplot.

Any ideas on why Paraview is misreading the result file?
Is there a bug in the Plot3D Reader?
Is there a specific Plot3D format that Paraview can read properly?

I can send screen dumps if it would help, but I wasn't sure if attachments
were discouraged on the mailing list.

David Parker
Chromalloy - TDAG