[Paraview] TECPLOT Vector Variables

DParker at chromalloy.com DParker at chromalloy.com
Wed Sep 1 09:05:19 EDT 2010

I've generated an ASCII TECPLOT file with the following variables: x, y,
z, rho, rho-u, rho-v, rho-w, rho-e. The header for the file is shown
below:

VARIABLES= "x" "y" "z" "rho" "rho-u" "rho-v" "rho-w" "rho-e"
DATASETAUXDATA Common.DensityVar="4"
DATASETAUXDATA Common.UVar="5"
DATASETAUXDATA Common.VVar="6"
DATASETAUXDATA Common.WVar="7"
DATASETAUXDATA Common.VectorVarsAreVelocity="FALSE"

When this file is opened in Tecplot the rho-u, rho-v, rho-w terms are
properly identified as vector variables so the magnitude and vectors, and
streamlines can be plotted.

When the file is opened in Paraview the rho-u, rho-v, rho-w terms are
scalars. The magnitude can be calculated with the calculator filter, but I
cannot plot vector glyphs or streamlines.

Is there any way to re-identify these scalar variables as a vector in
Paraview?

David Parker
Chromalloy - TDAG