[Paraview] Paravire GUI and QT

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed May 5 15:02:21 EDT 2010

>  I read that if you need to change any of the paraview code, specifically
> the interface you need to have a comercial lisence, obviously as we know you
> can add filters to it and customize the interface.

This is not exactly accurate.

First, you _used_ to need a commercial license of Qt if you wanted to
change ParaView's Qt code (or add new Qt code) AND if you wanted to
release this code under anything other than GPL.

Second, this is not the case anymore. Qt is now (also) licensed under
LGPL. Therefore, you can make any changes to ParaView's GUI as long as
you comply with LGPL, which is much more forgiving than GPL.

-berk