[Paraview] Problem reading Ensight Gold file with large number of time steps

Zhanping Liu zhanping.liu at kitware.com
Wed Mar 24 10:30:06 EDT 2010

Hom:

    You are right.

    (1) There is a 80-char limit on the length of any line in the case file
(actually also on the length of any line that stores ASCII/descriptive
information in a binary file). Thus the 200 time values can not be placed on
a single line. Otherwise only the first several would be parsed while the
rest would be ignored.

    (2) As you noticed from the code, the time values can be placed on
multiple lines to address the aforementioned over-limit issue.

    (3) Even the first several time values are not necessarily placed on the
same line as that of the "TIME VALUES" token. In other words, the time
values may be placed beginning on a line following the token line --- the
non-inline case.

    Good luck.

    -Zhanping

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Hom Nath Gharti <hng.email at gmail.com>wrote:

> I saw the code in vtkEnSightReader2.cxx, and noticed that I can use
> the multiple lines for time values. That works fine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Hom Nath Gharti <hng.email at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am trying to read a case file attached, where I have 200 time steps.
> > But I get the following error:
> >
> > ERROR: In
> ..\..\..\..\Temp\ParaView3\Servers\Filters\vtkEnSightReader2.cxx,
> > line 1152
> > vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader2 (08526E00): Error with vtkEnSightReader2:
> > 'time values' not found!!!
> >
> > When I delete all but first 10 values and modify the number of time
> > steps to 10, that works. It seems that there is the limitation in line
> > size in the reader. But we need to give all the time values in a same
> > line according to the format.
> >
> > I would appreciate your suggestions.
> >
> > Hom Nath

Zhanping Liu, PhD