[Paraview] paraview won't read plot3D files

Rick Burnes rick.burnes at mchsi.com
Wed Mar 17 18:29:32 EDT 2010

Paraview appears to have a limited ability certain plot3D files that
were likely generated from C/C++ code, but is unable to read plot3D
files generated from Fortran code.  When I open a Fortran generated
plot3D file I select "plot3D" as the file type and then select the
following three options: "binary file", "has byte count" and if needed
"multigrid".  I have tried various combinations of these options
without success.  I wrote a short and simple Fortran program to
generate a small test plot3D grid file and data file, which I can
successfully read with tecplot, but is not readable in paraview
3.6.1.  Has anyone had success reading Fortran generated plot3D files
with a recent version of paraview and if so, what plot3D format was
used and what paraview file options were selected?

This is for paraview 3.6.1 on a mac running leopard.  However, I run
into the same problem on the windows version of paraview as well.

Here is the error message I receive:

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/ParaViewReleases/ParaView-3.6/ParaView3/VTK/
IO/vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader.cxx, line 783
vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader (0x223c4620): Error reading geometry file.

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/ParaViewReleases/ParaView-3.6/ParaView3/VTK/
Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 757
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x223c4590): Algorithm
vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader(0x223c4620) returned failure for request:
vtkInformation (0x2245e940)
   Debug: Off
   Modified Time: 79689
   Reference Count: 1
   Registered Events: (none)
   Request: REQUEST_DATA
   FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0
   ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
   FROM_OUTPUT_PORT: 0

Also, are there any plans to improve paraview's ability to read plot3D
files?

Sincerely,
Rick