[Paraview] FFMPEG swscale required?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Wed Mar 17 15:19:25 EDT 2010

Hey again,

At least as things naturally happen on my Ubuntu machine, there is definitely something wrong with the test for whether FFMPEG has "old headers" (setting VTK_FFMPEG_HAS_OLD_HEADER):

Building the old ffmpeg downloaded from the VTK site, according to Dave DeMarle's README instructions, (after make install) results in {prefix}/include/ffmpeg/avformat.h (among other files, of course).

If you configure ParaView with ccmake and turn VTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER to ON, it runs FindFFMPEG.cmake, which will assign FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR to {prefix}/include/ffmpeg, because that's where it's finding avformat.h. Then, it runs the vtkTestFFMPEG.cmake and looks for the existence of a subdirectory within FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR called ffmpeg to see if you have "old headers". It doesn't find this, so it thinks you have new headers and tests whether all the needed "modern" libraries are present, and doesn't find them (giving the error I mentioned below). Now, if you try to change FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR manually (within a ccmake session) back to {prefix}/include so it can detect the existence of the ffmpeg subdirectory within, it now turns VTK_FFMPEG_HAS_OLD_HEADER back to TRUE, which is good, but still won't let me finish configuring (probably because of some other cached values that I haven't traced).

I was able to get it to build by creating a dummy ffmpeg directory within my {prefix}/include/ffmpeg directory to trick it into knowing that I have old headers right from the beginning. You may also be able to get it to work by manually feeding cmake the right FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR value right from the command line a the start of your config, but I didn't try that.

Anyway, I don't know if this is just on my system, but I thought I'd pass it along just in case it helps.

Thanks,
-Eric