[Paraview] name blocks or sets and export them in X3D files

Pierre JUILLARD pierre.juillard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 06:05:53 EST 2010

Dear Kristian,

Thanks again for this most valuable answer.

There is I guess a slight misunderstanding in the web3d forum. I do not
whish specifically to focus on a switch function.
I would like to keep the possibility to configure (in a specific "selection
frame") the set of objects to be displayed in a java applet using Xj3D and
stored in the X3D file:
- it can be the box
- it can be the cone
- it can be both if both are selected

My question was more to know if it does exist a way to differentiate objects
in X3D, and how to identify them (how can we store the ID of these objects)?
Then (back on ParaView and VTK!), can we set an ID in ParaView to each of
the different objects so that it is possible to identify them in the X3D
file and be able to "select" them in a X3D file?

I have to study this problem more deeply (I am not an expert of X3D format),
but I guess that using the X3D <Shape> you mention, it should be possible to
store each object as different objects.

I guess that even we don't have the possibility to name the objects, they
are stored in X3D in the same order than they are read in ParaView.

if in ParaView:
1 I read box.vtk
2 I read cone.vtk
3 I save them in X3D

I will have in the X3D file:
Shape 1
                  (the box description)
Shape 2
                  (the cone description)

So that in the end, if I keep track of what has been read in Paraview, I
should be able to recognise what is selected by the user.

I thank you again for your help and advices.
Best regards,

Pierre