[Paraview] name blocks or sets and export them in X3D files

Kristian Sons kristian.sons at supporting.com
Thu Mar 11 04:59:26 EST 2010

Dear Pierre,

I guess now I understood your intention and here some answers (I hope this
is not too off topic for other ParaView users):

- The X3D exporter just exports the results of the VTK pipeline you
configured using VTK
- So if you implement some kind of "Switch" by grouping two sources and
than extract one of them using VTK filters, this functionality will not be
mapped to X3D, just the active result of the pipeline gets exported. It
would be possible to "emulate" the VTK pipeline to some degree using X3D,
but this needs much more logic than the current exporter.
- Some of the functionalities (like naming the sources) is a ParaView
specific functionality. The X3D exporter has access to the VTK data
structure only, so you i.e. won't find them in the export

So the answer from the Web3D forum thread is not wrong. To pick up your
example:
1. Create the box and the cone.
2. Export the scene to X3D. You will find three shapes. The first is the
center actor that is in the same renderer (you can deactivate this actor in
View->Show Center). The two other shapes are the box and the cone.
3. Surround the two shapes with a switch node and then you can choose one
or the other to display using the whichChoice attribute.

Best regards,
Kristian