[Paraview] running pvserver on OS X 10.6.2 from a remote client

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Fri Mar 5 08:11:44 EST 2010

Hi,

I had a hard time trying to run pvserver on OS X 10.6.2 from a remote
client with the system OpenMPI. At the very moment I was about to hit
"Send" for the following email asking for help, somehow I found a
solution. :) In case it is of any help to someone else, I am sending
the mail as-is anyway, but with the solution, which is to add
--no-daemonize to the mpirun command line.

> mpirun --no-daemonize --hostfile hostfile -np 2 pvserver

-----
I am having a hard time trying to run pvserver (built from 3.7-cvs of
around a week ago) on an OS X 10.6.2 box from a remote OS X 10.6.2
client using the system OpenMPI.

First, when pvservers are launched locally with mpirun from the
console on the server and connected from the client, everything works
perfectly. Next, I launch pvservers on the server from the client
using OpenMPI with mpirun

> mpirun --hostfile hostfile -np 2 pvserver

(where hostfile contains the hostname of the server) the ParaView
client can connect to the server. Further, I was able to open a small
case and see its (locally rendered) visualization.

However, as soon as I apply a filter that generates complex geometry
(e.g. Glyph) and the rendering switches to the server, the pvservers
crash leaving the following error message.

pvserver[7023] <Error>: kCGErrorRangeCheck: On-demand launch of the Window Server is allowed for root user only.
pvserver[7023] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
pvserver[7024] <Error>: kCGErrorRangeCheck: On-demand launch of the Window Server is allowed for root user only.
pvserver[7024] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
(backtrace follows)

I googled for "kCGErrorRangeCheck: On-demand launch of ..." but found
no useful info. Is anyone successful in this usage scenario? If so,
how?

Thanks,
Takuya

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN