[Paraview] Problems loading .vtu beyond a certain resolution

Erik Keever ejkeever at nerdshack.com
Fri Mar 5 02:21:32 EST 2010

Hello,

I'm using Paraview for visualization of 3D hydrodynamic and mhd simulations.
My datasets are generated by a code with a structured grid and are exported
to VTK in ascii format. Data for each variable (rho, p, e, B, gravity) is
exported as one block in a <DataArray></DataArray>, with point data and cell
data in 4 similar arrays with 3, 8, 8 and 12 times as many entries as there
are points .

Trying to open a 100^3 dataset brings about a segfault in libvtkGraphics:
0x00007fffe9742d88 in vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter::InsertQuadInHash(long long,
long long, long long, long long, long long) ()
from /usr/lib64/paraview-3.6/libvtkGraphics.so.pv3.6

Opening a 99x100x100 and trying to apply CellDataToPointData causes a
different crash:
0x00007fffe7bbfe21 in vtkCellLinks::BuildLinks(vtkDataSet*, vtkCellArray*) ()
   from /usr/lib64/paraview-3.6/libvtkFiltering.so.pv3.6

A 95x100x100 opens and works. My colleague has read that this may be a limit
in the serial vtk format, e.g.
http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2009-September/013768.html

Is this fixable or do we need to export to a different format?

-- Erik