[Paraview] Sharing GPUs Amongst Processes

Ricardo Reis rreis at aero.ist.utl.pt
Wed Mar 3 17:23:37 EST 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Biddiscombe, John A. wrote:

> Question : Supposing you have no Xserver running but you wish to take advantage of hardware acceleration. Is it possible to create an offscreen buffer for each pvserver without the X server. We'd like to share one GPU between 4 cores, but without starting X.

maybe not what you want and maybe of some usefullness...

In the xorg.conf you can put

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     BusID          "PCI:07:00:00"
     Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "none"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

I always had to start an xserver (if you have more than 1 GPU you can add
device and screen sections has needed to xorg.conf). I've been using this
to render using Tesla cards.

Off course this needs to start X...

best,

  Ricardo Reis

  'Non Serviam'

  PhD candidate @ Lasef
  Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence
  http://www.lasef.ist.utl.pt

  Cultural Instigator @ Rádio Zero
  http://www.radiozero.pt

  Keep them Flying! Ajude a/help Aero Fénix!

  http://www.aeronauta.com/aero.fenix

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rreis/

                            < sent with alpine 2.00 >