[Paraview] How to do volume rendering of image data?

Steve Huntley stephen at xhuntley.net
Mon Jul 19 04:34:04 EDT 2010

I tried a hackish solution to my problem by hand-crafting a version of
my vtk file which moved all the rgb data to a lookup table, and
converted the COLOR_SCALARS data set to a SCALARS set whose values are
indexes into the lookup table.  I set the opacity of each color to 1.0,
except black which was set to 0.0.  This in theory (as I currently
understand it) should have given me what I want.

The file opens in ParaView without error; however, it appears that the
lookup table is simply ignored, and the default color mapping is used
instead.

The custom vtk file is attached, in case anyone cares to take a look at
it and tell me if there's problem which causes ParaView to ignore the
lookup values, or if the behavior in this case is a bug.

Thanks,
Steve H.