[Paraview] paraview - client-server

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 18:29:51 EST 2010

Nice, thanks for the clarification. I am guessing that your example
should probably be the recommended approach rather than the portfwd
method suggested on the PV wiki. :) I took the initiative to add it to
the Wiki. KW let me know if this is not the case!

    http://paraview.org/Wiki/Reverse_connection_and_port_forwarding#Reverse_connection_over_an_ssh_tunnel

Would you mind taking a look to be sure I didn't miss anything or bollix
it up?

The sshd config options you mentioned may be why your method doesn't
work on the Pleiades system, either that or there is a firewall between
the front ends and compute nodes. In either case I doubt the NAS sys
admins are going to reconfigure for me :) So at least for now I'm stuck
with the two hop ssh tunnels and interactive batch jobs. if there were
someway to script the ssh tunnel in my batch script I would be golden...

By the way I put the details of the two hop ssh tunnel on the wiki as
well, and a link to Pat's hpc.mil notes. I don't dare try to summarize
them since I've never used portfwd and it refuses to compile both on my
workstation and the cluster.

Hopefully putting these notes on the Wiki will save future ParaView
users some time and headaches.