[Paraview] paraview - client-server

Sean Ziegeler sean.ziegeler at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon Feb 8 12:15:11 EST 2010

Both ways will work for me in most cases, i.e. a "forward" connection
with ssh -L or a reverse connection with ssh -R.

However, I find that the reverse method is more scriptable.  You can set
up a .pvsc file that the client can load and will call ssh with the
appropriate options and commands for the remote host, all from the GUI.
  The client will simply wait for the reverse connection from the
server, whether it takes 5 seconds or 5 hours for the server to get
through the batch queue.

Using the forward connection method, if the server isn't started soon
enough, the client will attempt to connect and then fail.  I've always
had to log in separately, wait for the server to start running, then
tell my client to connect.

-Sean