[Paraview] paraview - client-server

Rakesh Hammond rakesh.hammond at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:59:46 EST 2010

Hi

I am trying to get client- server working where the client submits jobs via
MOAB to the cluster.  In order to do this, I have so far been able to do the
following

1)Connect from client to server in rc and just run on the cluster (this was
a test and no MOAB) was used
2)SSH into viz cluster, start PV client in the login node, generate a MOAB
script on the fly (basically this takes the number of nodes the user wants
through the standard PV xml input box), generates the moab script and
submits

Our system is where, only login nodes can see the compute nodes - in order
to run in client-server mode, where the client is workstation and server is
the viz cluster, PV wiki suggests the port forwarding utility.

I am no expert on this type of stuff, but I can see how this would work -
the question is if you have multiple users connecting at the same time,
obviously you can't forward everything into 11111 for example.

We have thought of doing this via some sort of a look up table on the server
side where portfwd utility looks up what is available and then forwards it
on.

Is there a better solution than this?  Is anyone using the portfwd utility
in a production system where multiple users login at the same time to run
PV?  If so, how did you get this to work?

Best wishes,
Rakesh