[Paraview] Volume Rendering in Paraview - Speed

Christian Werner christian.werner at rwth-aachen.de
Wed Feb 3 04:55:27 EST 2010

Hello!

I am working on a diploma thesis on defect analysis in cast iron. I
found ITK to be the perfect tool to manipulate my volume data. Now I am
looking for a tool for visualization. At fist, Paraview seemed to be the
perfect choice because of its VTK-Plugin capability (and thus ITK). The
bad thing is that the rendering is far too slow for my needs. At this
point I could as well store my results in a new file and view them in
another (faster) viewer. Of course this is not the perfect way either.

Am I missing some configuration or something? What I do is loading a raw
volume (dimensions: 256x256x110), go to the display tab and choose the
following options:

Color:
Interpolate Scalars: OFF
Map Scalars: OFF

Style:
Representation: Volume
Interpolation: flat
Material: none

Which seems to be the most basic setup for rendering. When the volume is
loaded I get frames every 5 seconds. The quality is good, no problems
there, but any other generic Volume Renderer gives me 20FPS+ (using
Textures). Maybe it's because the actual mapper does Ray Casting(?).
There is a field "Volume mapper" in the display tab under "Style" but
it's not enabled so I can't change anything there...

Has anybody some good advice?

Best regards,
Christian Werner