[Paraview] ParaView3 64-bit on Mac OS X 10.6.1

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Fri Oct 23 16:30:57 EDT 2009

Hi Sean,

On Oct 24, 2009, at 12:21 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

> That's not a crash exactly, someone called abort() deliberately (see
> 'man abort').  From the name of it (qFatal), I'd say that qt_init
> detected something it didn't like.

I'm building OpenFOAM-1.6, an open source CFD code on a case sensitive
partition. All the required tools, like qt-4.5.4, paraview-3.7.0,
cmake-2.9, etc were all build on a case-sensitive partition. After
building, they were all installed onto the default mac os x /
Applications folder, which is located in a case-insensitive partition.
Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Here are the steps I've followed to built paraview:

Procedure

Step 01.00: Download MacPorts-1.8.0

Download MacPorts from the MacPorts download directory: http://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/

Run the package installer, to install the MacPorts infrastructure
software to /opt/local/bin

Update the MacPorts installation by running the following command

$ sudo port selfupdate

Step 01.01: Install MacPorts gcc43

$ sudo port install gcc43

Step 02.00: Clone the official qt git source code repository

git clone git://gitorious.org/qt/qt.git

Step 02.01: Checkout the qt-4.5 branch

cd qt
git checkout 4.5

Step 02.02: Clone the git branch

git clone . ../qt-4.5

Step 02.03: Configure qt-4.5

./configure -platform macx-g++ -cocoa -arch x86_64 -nomake examples -
nomake demos -framework -sdk /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/ -prefix /
Developer/Applications/Qt-4.5

Step 02.04: Build qt-4.5

make -j 4

Qt is now configured for building. Just run 'make'.
Once everything is built, you must run 'make install'.
Qt will be installed into /Developer/Applications/Qt-4.5

To reconfigure, run 'make confclean' and 'configure'.

Step 02.05: Build qt-4.5 documentation

make docs

Step 02.06: Install qt-4.5

sudo make install

Step 02.07: Update the PATH environment variable to the qt
installation’s binary folder

vi ~/.profile

# Qt-4.5
export PATH=/Developer/Applications/Qt-4.5/bin:$PATH

Step 03.00: Install CMake from the cvs repository

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at www.cmake.org:/cvsroot/CMake login
(respond with password cmake)

Follow this command by checking out the source code:
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at www.cmake.org:/cvsroot/CMake co CMake

Bootstrap, build and install CMake

$ ./bootstrap
$ make
$ sudo make install

Step 04.00: Install Paraview from the cvs repository.

mkdir $HOME/Tool/ParaView
cd $HOME/Tool/ParaView

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at www.paraview.org:/cvsroot/ParaView3 login
(respond with empty password)

Follow this command by checking out the source code:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at www.paraview.org:/cvsroot/ParaView3 co ParaView3

For checking out the data, use the following:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at www.paraview.org:/cvsroot/ParaView3 co
ParaViewData

Configure ParaView using CMake

mkdir $HOME/Tool/ParaView/ParaView3-bin
cd $HOME/Tool/ParaView/ParaView3-bin
ccmake $HOME/Tool/ParaView/ParaView3

Press c to configure and select the following options

BUILD_SHARED_LIBS = ON
PARAVIEW_USE_MPI = ON
PARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON = ON

Build ParaView