[Paraview] Paraview 3.6.x connection definition files

Rick Angelini angel at arl.army.mil
Fri Oct 23 12:55:10 EDT 2009

I have questions regarding the use of connection definition files.

I have created numerous connection definition files for various clusters
and compute systems that we have here.     Up until now, I've been
distributing those pvsc files through a common directory that all of my
users have access to.   They manually load the pvsc files into their
session, and those server definitions get automatically saved into
$HOME/.config/ParaView/servers.pvsc.         The connection definition
files work great and are a huge time saver for Paraview users -
particularly in an environment where we need to establish SSH tunnels,
modify ports and connection IDs, etc.

The problem lies in what happens when I want to change one or more of
those pvsc files (presumably to incorporate a change that will improve
functionality, performance, etc 8-)     I update the pvsc file in the
common directory, and then I need to notify all of my Paraview users
that there's an update to the PVSC files and that they need to
delete/replace their existing definition with a new one.   This scenario
is awkward and requires some effort on the users' part - it would be
nice if there were a more automatic solution.

So, I've been looking at using a default_servers.pvsc file which in
theory is a great idea.   All users would have access to a common pvsc
file that I can control and update as necessary, with no updates
required by the user.   Well, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to really
work that way.    The default_servers.pvsc file is read in the first
time ParaView is loaded, and then those server definitions are saved
back to the $HOME/.config/ParaView directory.  The servers are
presumably saved off to preserve some of the information as defined in
the PVSC file - I have numerous fields (UserID, ProjectID, SSH
executable labeled with "save=true" so that that information is carried
over between sessions.

This is where we start to run into problems.     According to the WIKI,
the last server definition loaded take precedence, so if I make changes
to the "default_servers.pvsc" file,  it gets loaded prior to
"$HOME/.config/ParaView/servers.pvsc".     Unless I'm missing something,
once the server definitions are initialized the first time they are
recognized and saved off to the user's .config directory, the default
servers will never have precedence, even if I change/update the
contents.  Unless the ServerName is changed for each subsequent update
of a particular server, any updated server in the default servers file
won't be loaded.    Am I on the right track here - have I missed or
assumed something that I shouldn't have?    It looks like all of the
hooks are *almost* there to manage the server definitions .....

Also, using 3.6.1, I went through the process of created a
default_servers.pvsc, having those servers automatically loaded in my
ParaView session, and then have them saved off into a local servers.pvsc
file.  However, during the next Paraview session, the definitions don't
work properly - it seems as those the only the last item in an
enumerated list are available through the GUI, and in general it just
doesn't work correctly.   If those same server definitions are loaded
manually by the user and saved locally,  they work fine.  So, there's
apparently an issue related to the use of the default_servers.pvsc and
how those definitions are saved out to the user's server.pvsc file.