[Paraview] Stream Tracer

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 13 14:30:59 EDT 2009

The stream tracer filter follows vector fields in 3D space.  Tracing flow on surfaces is problematic because if a position is off the surface, then the stream tracer will not follow it.

The default stream tracer seed points is a cloud of random points centered around some location.  Because the points are picked in 3D space, it is probably picking points off of the surface.  Instead, change the seed points to be on the surface.  Try using the line instead of the point cloud.

You also have to be careful about vectors pointing off of the surface.  Once the stream leaves the surface (which can be immediately), then the stream tracer will stop following the stream.  Make sure the vectors are constrained to be within the surface.  You might be able to constrain the vectors using the Surface Vectors filter.

-Ken