[Paraview] compiling from CVS, vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx:420: error

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jun 30 14:30:05 EDT 2009

Ricardo Reis wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Brad King wrote:
>
>>> I always set VTK_USE_RPATH NO
>>>
>>> because if not I'm unable to install it to other dir (I usually use
>>> /opt/paraview).
>>
>> Okay, I've committed a fix to make vtkHashSource always use RPATH.
>> It is not installed and it only needs to run from the build tree.
>
> just to make shure, I think I might have induced you in error, I meant
>
> RPATH OFF
>
> (it was NO of NOT and not NO of dislexic ON)
>
>  my apologies for the possible confusion

I understood.  The problem is that vtkHashSource needs to run at build
time and it needs to find libvtksys.so when it runs.  Without RPATH
it cannot find the shared library it needs.  The fix is to use RPATH
for that executable regardless of the value of VTK_USE_RPATH.

A "full" fix would be to create a launcher for the tool just like those
created for the main paraview executables.  However, the executable is
not installed so that is overkill.

-Brad