[Paraview] ParaView pvserver crashes

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Jun 23 13:26:56 EDT 2009

Jay,

Have you compiled with OSMesa support (an additional step to compiling with Mesa) and run with -use-offscreen-rendering flag (I can't check your script because my email client stripped it) as is described in the ParaView Wiki (http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Setting_up_a_ParaView_Server#OSMesa_support)?  It could be that pvserver is still trying to open an X connection, failing, and crashing.

Another possibility is that there are multiple OpenGL libraries on your system and multiple ones are being grabbed.  Unfortunately, this can be pretty tricky to narrow down if that is the case.  You might try building your own version of Mesa from source as you suggest.  Mesa is actually pretty easy to build, and it should not add any complexity to building ParaView, which you have to do anyway if you plan to run on a server with more than one process.

-Ken