[Paraview] MJPEG instead of MPEG4 (issue 8925)

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:39:13 EDT 2009

On 13. Jul, 2009, at 10:47, paraview-request at paraview.org wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 09:00 -0400, Mike Jackson wrote:
>> The only reason I was selecting Quicktime on OS X was that it is
>> obviously built in and there are no licensing restrictions on any of
>> the codecs that it supports.
>>  On Windows there is already the wmv plugin which uses native
>> windows APIs.
>>
>> On linux I wouldn't really know what to use. Due to licensing issues
>> I don't think you can directly include source in ParaView/VTK that is
>> GPL'ed in any way (which GStreamer and FFMPEG are). And the issue
>> with
>> FFMPEG is that is uses patented algorithms for its codecs in which
>> royalties have not been paid. See the beginning of this entire
>> thread.
>>

> To my knowledge Theora is free of any formal trouble, and sufficient
> quality to be proposed for a default encoder for any platform, not?
>
> -- Dominik

The problem probably is that ParaView is BSD-style licensed, while Ogg/
Theora is LGPL'ed. Now, it would be OK for ParaView to _link_ against
LGPL'ed code (after all, it does so by using Qt), however I don't know
whether it would be permissible to _include_ the code in the source
distribution. Some idle googling didn't turn up anything conclusive.

Michael