[Paraview] Problem with Calculator filter in servermanager module

Andreas Maier andi.maier at mytum.de
Mon Jul 13 06:56:52 EDT 2009

Hi,

it now works fine. The line in my script reads now:

calc_vM=servermanager.filters.Calculator(Input=ptc, AttributeMode=2,
ResultArrayName='vMises_stress',AddScalarVariable=['eigenval1','eigenval1','0','eigenval2','eigenval2','0','eigenval3','eigenval3','0'] ,Function='0.70711*sqrt((eigenval1-eigenval2)^2+(eigenval2-eigenval3)^2+(eigenval3-eigenval1)^2)')

Thanks a lot for your explanations.

Andi

Andi,

You have to specify which scalars you want to use ni the calculator before
updating the pipeline using ScalarVariable or VectorVariable:

# Calculate von Mises Caucy stress and save in in celldata 'vMises_stress'
calc_vM = servermanager.filters.Calculator(
		Input=ptc,
		AttributeMode=2,
		ResultArrayName='vMises',

Function='0.70711*sqrt((eigenval1-eigenval2)^2+(eigenval2-eigenval3)^2+(eige
nval3-eigenval1)^2)',
		ScalarVariable =
['eigenval1','eigenval1','0','eigenval2','eigenval2','0','eigenval3','eigenv
al3','0']) #<<===HERE
calc_vM.UpdatePipeline()

For a vector, the syntax would be: VectorVariable =
['Velocity','Velocity','0','1','2']. The first string is the stored varname,
the second string is what you would like to call it in your function, and
the proceeding numbers are there location in the array (scalar's always at
0). Might not be the best explanation, but it works!

===================================

Adriano Gagliardi MEng PhD
Project Scientist
Computational Aerodynamics
Aircraft Research Association Ltd.
Manton Lane
Bedford

Tel: 01234 32 4644
E-mail: agagliardi at ara.co.uk
I have a problem with the Calculator filter using pvpython and the
servermanager module.

My script works fine upto that point:

> from paraview import servermanager
># Point to Cell Data
> ptc=servermanager.filters.PointDataToCellData(Input=clip2)
> ptc.UpdatePipeline()
>
># Calculate von Mises Caucy stress and save in in celldata 'vMises_stress'
> calc_vM=servermanager.filters.Calculator(Input=ptc, AttributeMode=2,
ResultArrayName='vMises',
Function='0.70711*sqrt((eigenval1-eigenval2)^2+(eigenval2-eigenval3)^2+(eige
nval3-eigenval1)^2)')
> calc_vM.UpdatePipeline()

and then I get the following error:

>ERROR:
In /home/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/Common/vtkFunctionParser.cxx,

line 1473
>vtkFunctionParser (0xa105428): Syntax error: expecting a variable name; see

position 0

>ERROR:
In /home/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/Common/vtkFunctionParser.cxx,

line 1473
>vtkFunctionParser (0xa105428): Syntax error: expecting a variable name; see

position 0

It must be something with the names of my cell
arrays 'eigenval1',..,'eigenval3' because I do not get that error when using

just scalars in Function (IE: Function='10000').

That same formula works fine when I use it in the paraview Calculator.

I hope that anybody can help me with that problem. Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Andi