[Paraview] Paraview v3.4.0 poor movie quality

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Jan 26 10:03:37 EST 2009

It looks like paraview 2.6's animation quality setting (low, medium,
high) was lost in the transition to 3.x. The result is that 3.x
chooses medium as the default.

I've added bug 8427 to the bugtracker so that it will get resolved by
3.6. In the meantime, if you build from source, you can change

vtkSMAnimationSceneImageWriter.cxx line 60 to be
this->Quality = 2; //for max
or
this->Quality = 0; //for min

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Rick Burnes <rick.burnes at mchsi.com> wrote:
> Hi Berk,
>
> I have generated an animation using the method you are referring to, where
> individual images are generated for each time-step.  The individual images
> generated out of Paraview v3.4.0 are high quality when using this approach.
>
> Please see the email I sent to you directly that includes a sample movie,
> illustrating the poor movie quality.
>
> Does Paraview have its own built-in codecs or does it use codecs available
> elsewhere on the computer system?
>
> Sincerely,
> Rick
>
> Berk Geveci wrote:
>>
>> If you save the animation as a series of images, are the images of
>> poor quality as well? I am trying to figure out if the encoding or
>> screen capture is bad.
>>
>> -berk
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Rick Burnes <rick.burnes at mchsi.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I have been trying to generate several animations in paraview v3.4.0 (32
>>> bit
>>> windows xp O.S.) but so far the animation quality has been terrible. I
>>> have
>>> reviewed some of the previous posts and solutions but making the changes
>>> offered in those solutions did not change the quality of the animations
>>> generated.  Specifically, I turned off the light kit and I also unchecked
>>> the "Use Offscreen Rendering for Screenshots", which can be found under
>>> "Render View" in the options.  I did not have problems with animation
>>> quality until upgrading to version 3.  Since then all of the version 3
>>> variants of paraview have given me the same animation quality problems.
>>>
>>> Additional information: I generate an animation by choosing "save
>>> animation"
>>> under "file", set the frames per sec., etc. and then save the animation
>>> as
>>> an "avi" file.  I was hoping someone who subscribes to this list could
>>> provide some guidance on how to generate a high quality animation out of
>>> paraview v3.4.0.  I have also tried this on two different windows xp
>>> computers with different video cards and drivers, but still get the same
>>> results.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Rick