[Paraview] basic python paraview setup question

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 23 11:40:42 EST 2009

First, I would like to mention that the ParaView binaries come with a program called pvpython that is basically just a python interpreter with the paths set up.

That said, I understand that it is not always practical to use pvpython in lieu of the default python interpreter, so to actually answer your question, you also have to add this to your PYTHONPATH

/home/sree/paraview-3.4.0/Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping

After that, python should find the paraview module.

Although not strictly necessary, I also recommend calling paraview.servermanager.vtkInitializationHelper.Finalize() right before your script exits.  This will make sure that all the VTK object get cleaned up nicely and is one of the other things that pvpython will do for you.

-Ken