[Paraview] Reading excel data into paraview

Jamie Ruprecht j.ruprecht at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:17:18 EST 2009

Hi everybody,

I have just started working on paraview and have data which is a 1-dimensional times series of water suface elevations. At each time step I have water heights recorded for the length of the computational domain. The columns in my excel file represents the changing water profile for each time step and the rows represent the spatial step. My aim is to generate a 2D animation showing a wave propagating along the computational domain.

Mike suggested that I convert the file from .xls to .csv (for easier reading) than to .pvd (to view in paraview). This is all well and good, though I am not that confident with python coding, I think if I had an example I will be able to get my head around it though. If anyone could help me out in that would be much appreciated. Cheers,Jamie.