[Paraview] pvrenderserver with MPI or without MPI?

Shigenobu Hirose shirose at jamstec.go.jp
Sun Jan 18 22:43:22 EST 2009

Hi,

I've built Paraview servers on Mac OS X (10.5.6 intel x86_64) with
PARAVIEW_USE_MPI=ON.
I'm going to run the servers on a MacPro with 8 CPUs and with a single
graphics card.

I understand that
% mpirun -np 8 pvserver
is meaningful for data processing since it will be done in parallel
using 8 CPUs. But, I think it is redundant for rendering since there
is only one graphics card. In fact, when I run the above command,
there appear 8 windows, but rendering seems to be done on only one of
them with other 7 windows being blank.

So, I guess I should launch the pvdataserver with MPI but the
pvrenderserver without MPI like this:
% mpirun -np 8 pvdataserver
% pvrenderserver

Is my understanding correct?