[Paraview] File Series Reader as a Plugin

Sean Ziegeler sean.ziegeler at nrlssc.navy.mil
Thu Jan 8 14:19:11 EST 2009

I'd like to write a plugin that makes the Meta format time-aware.  I've
looked at: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_series .

 From that, I see that I can modify
VTK/Servers/ServerManager/Resources/reader.xml, but I'd prefer it to be
plugin that I can send to someone else with requiring a complete rebuild
of Paraview/VTK.  It should be possible to write a .xml file that gets
loaded as a plugin and that wraps the Meta reader in a vtkFileSeriesReader.

However, if I do it without modifying readers.xml, the original Meta
reader does not get moved to a different ProxyGroup.  Does that mean my
new Meta Series reader won't ever be used?  Is there some other way to
do it that doesn't require a rebuild of Paraview?

Thanks,
Sean