[Paraview] MPI performance and VGL error

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 18 13:00:37 EST 2009

I will have to guess at why, say, contour is running slower.  I can think of two possibilities (but not claiming that either is necessarily correct).

 1.  Perhaps the data is not distributed.  If the reader is naive (you didn't specify what data you were reading), it could be just loading all of it on node 0.  The poor performance could simply be that the data is really being processed in serial.  Run the Process Id Scalars filter on the output of contour to make sure that the cells are distributed amongst the processes.
 2.  Some filters (contour included) need ghost cells.  When you add them, they will send a request up the pipeline to load another layer of ghost cells.  Assuming the reader supports it, the reader will usually reload the entire data set from file on each process to include the ghost cells.  There is a good chance that reading the data from disk is taking a lot longer than contouring the data.  Open the timer log (Tools -> Timer Log) and see how much time each component is taking.  If the contour filter is reported to run really fast (or missing from the timings if faster than the threshold) and the reader is running multiple times, then that is probably it.

As far as your problems with vglconnect, I am afraid I cannot be much help as I am unfamiliar with that hardware.  (Perhaps someone else on this list has run into this hardware.)  It sounds like the pvserver nodes are having trouble connecting to the appropriate X displays.  Usually this is a matter of getting your DISPLAY environment variables (or -display command line flags) correct.

-Ken