[Paraview] MPI performance and VGL error

Orlando Rivera Orlando.Rivera at lrz.de
Wed Feb 18 04:31:40 EST 2009

Dear all,

We have compiled paraview server  with  MPICH2 and parastation ,   when
we deploy the server  , it starts with no troubles , the clients
connects  easily as well .

However , when  we do some calculations , like a contour,   it takes
much more time (~3x)    to represent the surfaces   as  when  using the
client  alone

Another thing that bothers us,  when I start the client  with  vglrun
(through vglconnect  )   We get this warning :
[VGL] ERROR: Cannot obtain a Pbuffer-enabled 24-bit FB config on the
VirtualGL
[VGL]    server.  This is most likely because the 3D X Server :1.2
[VGL]    is not configured for 24-bit color or does not have accelerated 3D
[VGL]    drivers installed.

but we have drivers installed and cmake found them .

I don't know   whether these two problems are related or not , I would like

1)  a benchmark  or a way to determinate  that the server does in fact
internal calculations when using mpi

2) How to solve the client issue with VGL

our hardware is a Sun x4600 server with 16 CPU cores (8x2 opteron )
with   SLES  10 SP2   and  four Quadro FX5500 graphics cards.

Any help is  gladly appreciated,  request  if you  need more
information form us

Thanks

--
Orlando Rivera