[Paraview] Parallel Data Redistribution

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Dec 11 09:59:04 EST 2009

I have a filter pipeline which reads N blocks from disk, this works fine on N processors.

I now wish to subdivide those N blocks (using a custom filter) to produce new data which will consist of M blocks - where M >> N.

I wish to run the algorithm on M processors and have the piece information transformed between the two filters (reader -> splitter), so that blocks are distributed correctly. The reader will Read N blocks (leaving M-N processes unoccupied), but the filter which splits them up needs to output a different number of pieces and have the full M processes receiving data.

I have a reasonably good idea of how to implement this, but I'm wondering if any filters already do something similar. I will of course take apart the D3 filter for ideas, but I don't need to do a parallel spatial decomposition since my blocks are already discrete - I just want to redistribute the blocks around and more importantly change the numbers of them between filters.

If anyone can suggest examples which do this already, please do

Thanks

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch