[Paraview] Suggested format for open unstructured CFD including surface geometry?

A. Austen metallurgist at airpost.net
Fri Aug 21 18:10:13 EDT 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:39 +0100, "Adriano Gagliardi"
<agagliardi at ara.co.uk> wrote:
> I was intending on writing a FieldView reader, but I couldn't find any
> documentation describing its formats.

This is by deliberate action of the company that makes FieldView,
"Intelligent Light."  The documentation for the FieldView file formats
is part of the overall documentation set which is expressly distributed
under an "End User License Agreement" that forbids the dissemination of
covered materials to non-licensees.  They believe that making their file
formats open gives their competition an advantage.  I can't say that I
even remotely agree with this (EnSight andTecplot, are just a couple of
counterexamples), but they are probably not going to change their minds
until their licensed users get upset and organized about lobbying them
on this issue.  This is why I'm interested in writing a translator for
my own use, so I'm not forever stuck with only one
visualization/post-processing tool for my datasets.

So the consensus is that I should target the EnSight file format?  I'm
looking at their documentation now...

                          wherever you are