[Paraview] python/VTK errors in Paraview

Karl Battams karlbattams at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 10:04:44 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using the latest CVS build of Paraview (on Ubuntu) and am getting some
errors when I try to do python scripting from the Python shell.  I start
ParaView and bring up the python shell, and type the simple command:

>>> reader=LegacyVTKReader()
As soon as I enter this command, the error console pops up saying:

ERROR: In
/home/battams/Builds/Paraview3/ParaView3/VTK/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx,
line 757

vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x253f0b0): Algorithm
vtkFileSeriesReader(0x2560aa0) returned failure for request: vtkInformation
(0xd1e190)

Debug: Off

Modified Time: 197255

Reference Count: 1

Registered Events: (none)

Request: REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT

ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1

FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

It has a similar error for vtkPDataSetReader.  It then has the lines:

ERROR: In
/home/battams/Builds/Paraview3/ParaView3/Servers/Common/vtkSelfConnection.cxx,
line 147
vtkSelfConnection (0x14ef4f0): Failed to locate object with ID: 154

ERROR: In
/home/battams/Builds/Paraview3/ParaView3/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMOutputPort.cxx,
line 293

vtkSMOutputPort (0x152f200): Missing data information.

And then some more output like the top part.

Now what seems odd to me is that it is complaining about errors in my build
directory, but I installed Paraview to /usr/local.  But the same error
persists, even if I actually remove the build directory before running
paraview.  But perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.  Regardless, I get
the above errors when python scripting.  Any ideas?

Also, in my CMakeOutput.log file I see the message:

Determining if glXGetProcAddressARB exists in GL/glx.h FALSE

...leading to an error...

/home/battams/Builds/Paraview3/ParaView3/VTK/Rendering/CheckglXGetProcAddressARB.cxx:
In function 'int main(int, char**)':
/home/battams/Builds/Paraview3/ParaView3/VTK/Rendering/CheckglXGetProcAddressARB.cxx:33:
error: 'glXGetProcAddressARB' was not declared in this scope
make[1]: ***
[CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/CheckglXGetProcAddressARB.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/battams/Builds/paraview-bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2

Is this related?  Or an entirely different problem?  (or not a problem at
all?)

Thanks!

~~Karl