[Paraview] multiple time steps and particle tracing

Adam Wiktor awiktor at emory.edu
Mon Aug 10 12:17:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to visualize blood flow through the aorta from MRI scans. I have
a series of .vti images with the velocity, each one a single time step. I
opened them in paraview as a composite data set, and paraview seems to have
loaded each time step correctly. I now need to use a temporalshiftscale to
set the correct time for each step, and then use a particle trace to
visualize the blood flow.

I'm having two problems: first of all, when I apply the temporalshiftscale,
I get the following error message:

 ERROR: In
/home/awiktor/Desktop/ParaView3/VTK/Filtering/vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
line 747

vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x153c960): No maximum number of pieces has been
set in the information for output port 0 on algorithm
vtkFileSeriesReader(0x1537e70).

I wasn't getting this error before when I was doing the same thing on the
same data set, but something must have changed.

Also, back when I wasn't getting this error message, I tried applying the
ParticleTracer filter, and got the following error message:

ERROR: In
/home/awiktor/Desktop/ParaView3/VTK/Filtering/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
line 728 vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0x11e2a10): Input port 1 of algorithm
vtkTemporalStreamTracer(0x5be0420) has 0 connections but is not optional.

Does anyone know what these errors mean, and how to fix them?

Finally, I assume that the difference between stream tracer and particle
tracer is that stream tracer operates on a single time step, whereas
particle tracer incorporates multiple time steps. Is that true? And if that
is the case, what does particle pathlines do?

Thanks,

Adam