[Paraview] Average value on specific sub-domains

Wei Wu wei.wu-2 at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 5 07:01:19 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I am from Manchester, UK and I am new to CFD calculations. I am using Code_Saturne(http://code-saturne.blogspot.com) /FVM method to produce data in EnSight format and then checking it in ParaView. An illustration is attached. I am working on coolant oil flow and so the picture shows a matrix of oil flow ducts. This is a 2D model with structured rectangular mesh grid, but the mesh density is not uniform.

In order to compare with results from my lumped parameter models, I have to investigate average values of parameters (the most important one of these is temperature) on specific sub-domains, as framed out in the picture. I found a solution (http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2008-April/007882.html) and tried the filter "integrate variables", but found the result doesn't seem to be reasonable. I guess I must did something wrong.

I am quite interested in the extension script by python. Because my model is constructed by basic geometric elements, and the number of the elements is growing along with my progress, I am thinking about using python to obtain average values for all of the sub-domains in a loop. If I can access information of all the cells in a specific sub-domain (I can compute coordinate of these domains first), including rectangular cells' sides and areas as well as the corresponding cell values (temperature, pressure, velocity etc), I guess it is not difficult to derive average values for all of the sub-domains.

I know a little about python and have experience on programming. I looked up ParaView Wiki, tried some python samples, but unfortunately I still don't know how to start to implement my idea. Is there a detailed API functions manual existing? Or could you please give some hints or examples to help?

Thank you very much for your help about this.

Best regards,
Wei