[Paraview] Simple Visualization

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 05:52:23 EDT 2008

2008/10/30 David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>:
>> Alright, we'll get to the bottom of this.
>> This is a list of what I do (which is clearly NOT working).
>> (1) open the .VTK file I emailed you.
>> (2)click apply
>> (3) I cannot select the calculator filter right now in the GUI hence
>
> I can not replicate that problem. As soon as I hit apply the
> calculator filter is an option. I am on paraview 3.4.

This unexpected. I am on Debian testing and I have paraview 3.2.2.

>> (4) I apply a gliph filter and set the radius to 0.1
>> (5) I can now apply a calculator filter. I leave the defaults and
>> write 1 in the empty space before applying it
>> (6) nothing changes in the snapshot apart from the color
>
> It shouldn't. You have just associated some data with the polygonal
> spheres. You have not made them larger.
>
> The color changed because you now have some associated data, not just
> locations to work with, so paraview automatically colormaps the data.
> Your data is pretty boring (everything has the value 1.0), so the
> color is pretty lame, (everything is red).

So this makes sense now.

>> (7) select again gliph filter, set sphere to radius 0.1 and click
>> apply (In the "scalar" field I now read "Result", so I thought
>> Paraview somehow had info about the previous filter I had applied),
>
> Yes, this second glyph filter now has something besides the x,y,z
> locations to work with. It has the same associated data that caused
> the color to change.
>
>> (8) Now everything is red and I have no idea of what I should do.
>
> At the bottom of Glyph2's Properties Tab of the Object Inspector,
> change scale mode to scalar.
>
> What you will now see is not what are aiming for, it actually shows a
> sphere on top of every vertex within the original sets of spheres. But
> change the calculator filters expression and see what happens.

Here I am a bit flying blind. Changing the numerical value in the
filter (1, 5, 10) does not do anything at first sight.
However, if I save everything to a legacy ascii vtk file, I now get
something large (about 30Mb).

> You should figure out why the calculator couldn't be applied to the
> final_config.vtk file reader's output.

This is really the bad news. Does anyone on this list use paraview
from Debian testing standard repositories?
Actually, I should add now the problem of visualizing correctly the
spheres appears even in the simple example with 50 particles only;
there I noticed that the particles (by using radius 0.5) are actually
slightly smaller than they should be (and povray also disagrees).
I am puzzled; I thought all this would take minutes.
Cheers

Lorenzo

--
Free will does not consist in inverting the river flow, but in being
the fish that leaps upstream.