[Paraview] Simple Visualization

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Oct 30 15:08:20 EDT 2008

> Alright, we'll get to the bottom of this.
> This is a list of what I do (which is clearly NOT working).
> (1) open the .VTK file I emailed you.
> (2)click apply
> (3) I cannot select the calculator filter right now in the GUI hence

I can not replicate that problem. As soon as I hit apply the
calculator filter is an option. I am on paraview 3.4.

> (4) I apply a gliph filter and set the radius to 0.1
> (5) I can now apply a calculator filter. I leave the defaults and
> write 1 in the empty space before applying it
> (6) nothing changes in the snapshot apart from the color

It shouldn't. You have just associated some data with the polygonal
spheres. You have not made them larger.

The color changed because you now have some associated data, not just
locations to work with, so paraview automatically colormaps the data.
Your data is pretty boring (everything has the value 1.0), so the
color is pretty lame, (everything is red).

> (7) select again gliph filter, set sphere to radius 0.1 and click
> apply (In the "scalar" field I now read "Result", so I thought
> Paraview somehow had info about the previous filter I had applied),

Yes, this second glyph filter now has something besides the x,y,z
locations to work with. It has the same associated data that caused
the color to change.

> (8) Now everything is red and I have no idea of what I should do.

At the bottom of Glyph2's Properties Tab of the Object Inspector,
change scale mode to scalar.

What you will now see is not what are aiming for, it actually shows a
sphere on top of every vertex within the original sets of spheres. But
change the calculator filters expression and see what happens.

You should figure out why the calculator couldn't be applied to the
final_config.vtk file reader's output.

--
David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.