[Paraview] exporting image data from python

Peter Brady petertbrady at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 15:54:36 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I was able to compile paraview with the USE_VTK_GL2PS (as far as I can
tell) module activated (paraview 3.4) in order to save data in .eps
format.  Unfortunately I'm quite stuck on how to implement this from a
python script.  I can easily save it to a png via:

view = servermanager.CreateRenderView()
-- some code --
view.WriteImage("test.png", "vtkPNGWriter", 1)

I've tried:
view.WriteImage("test.eps", "vtkGL2PSExporter", 1)
with various permutations and I get:
ERROR: In /home/peter/lib/ParaView-3.4.0/Servers/ServerManager/vtkSMRenderViewProxy.cxx,
line 1131 vtkSMRenderViewProxy (0x7fe8a82704d0): Object is not a
vtkImageWriter: vtkGL2PSExporter 20008.

I assume this means that the WriteImage method is not what I'm looking
for but I can't seem to find the appropriate call to do so.  I've
looked at the source code and documentation at
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGL2PSExporter.html but
have not been able to do anything productive with it.

Any help on how to export image data from paraview using python would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter