[Paraview] Newbie question about simulation

Jay Shaffstall jays at muskingum.edu
Wed May 21 11:29:52 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm a complete newcomer to Paraview, and wanted to get some guidance
from experts.

I'm tasked with developing a simulation of cave development processes,
and visualizing it in a 3D model.  ParaView had been suggested as a
possible platform for this.

Based on what I've read so far, my thinking is that I'll have to have
an external program to generate time coded data, and read that data
into ParaView to visualize the results of the simulation.

This seems like it isn't using ParaView's strengths, so I have a
feeling I'm missing a way to more fully use ParaView as part of the
simulation, rather than an after the fact visualization.  Can anyone
point me in that direction?

Or, if ParaView isn't the application to use for this, what would be
recommended?  I'd also considered using VTK in a Python based
simulation program to visualize the results as the simulation was
running.

Any advice at this early stage would be appreciated.

Jay