[Paraview] Remote render / composite settings with MPI pvserver

Sean Ziegeler seanzig at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 2 16:00:57 EDT 2008

I'm trying to do remote rendering with client-server, where the server
is running in parallel on AIX.  The problem is that it only renders the
block from the first task, as if the compositing is not happening.  So,
I'm trying to figure out if it's an AIX-related issue or I'm just doing
something dumb with the build or one of the settings.  So, here's all
the relevant info I can think of:

Versions: 3.2.1 and CVS (about 1 week old)
Build: AIX using VisualAge compiler, cross-compiled using mpCC, 64-bit
With: Python 2.5.1, Mesa 7.0.2 w/OSMesa
ICE-T: Without
Server:
	Command: mpirun.lsf pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
	   also tried --disable-compositing  (grasping at straws here)
	LSF processors: 8
	Cleared the DISPLAY env var
Client:
	Remote Render Threshold: 0 (to force remote rendering)
	Disable Ordered Compositing: Tried Off & On
	Everything else at defaults as well

It happens with any source or data sets, and with any of the filters
I've tried.  If I turn off Remote Rendering (i.e., force client
rendering) things look fine.

Then I thought maybe I should try building ICE-T.  I did that with 3.2.1
and now I just get a black screen, except for the little axis widget.  I
haven't tried with ICE-T and CVS yet.  After that, I'm out of permutations.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean