[Paraview] writing storage-efficient .vtu files

Jean Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Tue Mar 18 08:24:16 EDT 2008

Alejandro Aragón wrote:
> Writing .vtu files in ascii is straightforward, and I wrote my own code
> for that but I believe that I'm repeating the functionality found in the
> VTK toolkit.
This functionality can be found in the following files, in the VTK/IO
directory

vtkXMLWriterC.cxx
vtkXMLWriterC.h
vtkXMLWriterF.h
> On the other half, the VTK toolkit may not be found in some
> of the machines where I will run my code, so that limits the
> portability.

you're right here too. Production machines would usually have HDF5
around. Your IO module would be more portable with HDF5, and you could
still read it in in ParaView with the Xdmf layer. Note that currently,
some Xdmf stuff is broken in the the ParaView CVS. Stick to an earlier
version to test.

Jean
Swiss National Supercomputing Center