[Paraview] Journal images (WAS: paraview crashes while saving screenshot)

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Jul 16 11:36:28 EDT 2008

>> Also is there any way to save screenshot is EPS format. (because journals
>> need figures in EPS)
>>

> I don't think so... there's GL2PS in VTK but it I don't think it's an option
> in paraview.  Most journals I'v seen (not that many) accept at least one
> raster format.

My journal experience is similar (both in observation and lack of scope) as
Kevin's.  Generally, I have found that journals accept raster images, but
only at fairly high dots per inch (dpi).  Fortunately, ParaView lets you
create images of any size, even those larger than the available display.
Also, I highly recommend saving in png format.  The jpeg format that most
people go for tends to create artifacts in the types of images ParaView
generates.

If you require the image to be converted to EPS format, for example to
include in a LaTeX document, there are tools freely available for that.  I
use the convert program from ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org).  Admittedly,
this creates large eps files, which leads to large ps and pdf documents.  I
often get around this by leaving the images in png format and then using
pdflatex, which will read in the png files directly and maintain the
compression.

-Ken